Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Slow Cooker Mexican Delight!

>> Thursday, August 27, 2015




The other day, as I walked down to our clinic kitchen to get my lunch, I was greeted by mouthwatering aromas of Mexican spices filling the air... I turned the corner to find my dear friend and coworker Chantelle heating up her delightful lunch that she had brought from home.  She graciously packed a lunch for me at work the next day, and it tasted even better than it smelled... this recipe needs to be shared!!


INGREDIENTS:

  • 5 chicken breasts
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 can of tomatoes (796 mL size)
  • 1 can of corn (341 mL size)
  • 1 can black beans (540 mL size)
  • 1 package of low sodium taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • And a little bit of love


DIRECTIONS: (slow cookers are so easy! :)

1.  Throw all ingredients in the slow cooker.  Cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low. 

2.  Shred the chicken in the mixture and leave it on low for another hour or two – just to get the flavor all the way through the chicken.

And...you're done!

This dish can be enjoyed as is or in a taco, but my favorite option is to put it over a mixed green salad!  This adds lots of FreeVeg to the meal.  If you put it over a salad or in a taco, drain fluid first.

Makes 10 servings.  Per serving: 
  • calories: 183
  • carbs: 20g
  • fat: 2g
  • protein: 19g

Thanks so much to my dear friend Chantelle, and her friend Amy, for the delicious recipe!


Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen

www.drsue.ca © 2015

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP